Yesterday saw the launch of both the Mayor's Plan and the Mayoral Transport Strategy - thoughts, aspirations and plans for transport in London included in each.
The headline grabbing proposals in the Transport Strategy are:
- a new road pricing scheme (which has already caused a fuss here and here, with suggestions it being of a £1 per mile charge).
- the extension of light rail (the DLR extending to Dagenham Dock and other suggestions including Stratford, Lewisham and even west of Bank).
- Growth and better management of the Underground (the Northern Line experiencing greater separation, and and extension to Battersea on the cards. Also the resurrection of a south-easterly extension of the Bakerloo Line).
- Extension of tram routes.
- Diverting the Watford branch of the Metropolitan Line to Croxley for better National Rail interchange.
- Oyster at National Rail stations by the end of 2010.
The full 365 page document can be downloaded from the dedicated website here.